Kerala is one of the most beautiful regions of India, and certainly the most laid-back and easiest to travel around, without losing any of the exoticism and vibrancy that makes India unique. Located in the far southwest of India, Kerala is one of its smallest states, making up only 1% of India’s total landmass. Kerala was our favourite part of an incredible country, and here at Kerala India Travel we want to share with you our top tips for making the most of a trip there.
Let’s start with our two-part series on the top 10 reasons why we think Kerala is such a wonderful place to visit.
1) Diversity of Attractions – Where else can you indulge in a range of activities such as floating on a houseboat in the tranquil, lush green backwaters; relaxing on tropical beaches; spotting elephants and tigers in Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary; practising yoga in an ashram; or hiking in the cool mountains and tea plantations.
2) The Backwaters – Cruising through the emerald backwaters, an interconnecting system of rivers, canals and lagoons is one of the most relaxing experiences on earth. All worries disappear as you watch the world go by in this stunning unspoilt environment from the luxurious comfort of your own floating house.
3) Fantastic Homestays – There are plenty of opportunities to stay with Keralan families and really experience the culture. Nothing beats some of the finest home-cooked food in India and the chance to meet the locals. We stayed in some incredible homestays, including a village in the backwaters that remains to this day the number one experience of our entire year-long round the world trip (a trip not short on amazing experiences!). You can read more about this wonderful homestay here.
4) Delicious Food – Keralan food is gorgeous, using plenty of fresh vegetables, exotic fruit, and locally-grown aromatic spices (don’t miss a visit to a spice farm). It’s nothing like the Indian curry we eat here in the West – it’s much less saucy, with subtler flavours and the inclusion of unusual ingredients such as jackfruit and tamarind. The most delicious and authentic feast is the sadya – dozens of different dishes served up on a banana leaf, and eaten like the locals do with the fingers. It’s fantastic for vegetarians, but there’s plenty of fresh fish too for the more carnivorous among you.
5) Beautiful Scenery – Enjoy the lush, green scenery of swaying palm and coconut trees, rice paddy fields, huge stretches of river and long golden beaches. Such incredible views and most of it unspoilt, just itching to be explored by the more adventurous traveller.
So, there you have the first part of our top 10. Have you been to Kerala? What are your top 10 reasons to visit? Post a comment and let us at Kerala India Travel know!
For more reasons to visit Kerala see Part 2 of the Top 10 Reasons to Visit Kerala
Here at Kerala India Travel we’ll be providing you with all the information you need to plan an amazing trip to Kerala. Subscribe to the Kerala India Travel RSS Feed and get all of the latest information direct to your reader.