Kerala is a region in India that is rich with attractions and beautiful scenery. There is no shortage of incredible places to visit. Here are the Kerala India Travel recommendations for the top 10 places to visit in Kerala.
1) The Backwaters – Wherever and however you choose to explore the backwaters, this emerald watery paradise is a definite highlight of Kerala. Find out more with our introduction to the backwaters and best ways to experience the backwaters guides.
2) Fort Cochin – The oldest part of this seaside city is more laid-back than other Indian cities and features Portuguese and Dutch colonial architecture, art galleries, churches, spice markets and the famous Chinese Fishing Nets.
3) Munnar – A beautiful, tranquil hill station with a cool climate, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and visits to tea plantations. Read our Guide to Munnar, Kerala and Quiet Alternatives to Munnar, Kerala.
4) Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary – A fantastic place to take boat, jeep or hiking trips to spot elephants, monkeys and even the elusive tiger. Read our Guide To Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and some Quiet Alternatives to Periyar.
5) Kollam – This small market town isn’t an obvious attraction, but it’s the southern gateway to the backwaters, and a quieter alternative to Alleppey for organising houseboat and canoe trips. We also enjoyed the untouristy and authentically Indian feel of the town.
6) Varkala – A gorgeous beach below rocky cliffs lined with chilled out cafes- the perfect place to watch the spectacular sunsets. Read more about beaches in South Kerala.
7) Kumarakom - At this bird sanctauary near Kottayam you can walk or take a boat ride to spot comorants, herons, egrets and storks.
8) Thrissur – A religious and cultural centre featuring one of the largest temples in Kerala.
9) Kozhikode – This historic town is the gateway to the quieter beaches and backwaters of Northern Kerala, with temples and museums to visit too.
10) Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary – A quieter alternative to Periyar as a great place to spot elephants in the wild. We also featured it as a Quiet Alternative to Munnar, Kerala as a more peaceful hill station retreat.
Need Help Planning Your Trip to Kerala?
Fill in the form below and our partner agency will contact you with itinerary suggestions and quotes for trips to Kerala.